Reading List Zoo Health Management specialty
Updated 2016 (valid for 2018 exam)
This recommended reading list is provided for guidance only and is not exhaustive; if appropriate the latest edition of any book should be looked at rather than that suggested here.
The majority of examination questions will be taken from the core books and journals listed; your journal scan should be restricted to the last five years (papers published online may be used). Other books or journals may however also contain good papers or articles on zoological medicine and you should maintain a broad scan of relevant publications.
Note that reading lists are posted AFTER each year’s exam and provide the source of the exam questions for the year indicated. Therefore, reading lists will always be two years behind. They are not meant to be comprehensive nor do they indicate what the candidates for the next exam should read. However, the sources for the exam questions do tend to come from roughly the same sources each year. These lists are not all-inclusive lists, and the exam will not necessarily be limited to these references.
Refereed Journals (last 5 years) with focus on relevant Zoo Health Management topics:
– American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR)
– Diseases of Aquatic Organisms
– Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery (JAMS)
– Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA)
– Journal of Wildlife Diseases (JWD)
– Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
– Journal of Zoo and Aquarium Research (JZAR)
– Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine (JZWM)
– Veterinary Record (Vet Rec)
– Zoo Biology (Zoo Bio)
– Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 6th (chapters 1,2,4,6,10,11,13,17,21,25,26,28,31,35,36,43,49,51,53-56) and 7th (Chapters 4,5,8,15,22-26,28,29,32,35,39,41-44,53,55,61,64-67,69,71,73,75,79,80,82) and 8th (all chapters except: 70,71,77,82) editions. Fowler (ed). 2003, 2007, 2014. W.B. Saunders.
– Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. 2nd. ed. West, Heard, Caulkett (eds). 2014. Blackwell Publ.
– Current Therapy in Avian Medicine and Surgery, 1ed. Brian Speer, 2015, WB Saunders (pp. 28-668, 714-717)
– Fish disease: Diagnosis and Treatment 2nd ed. Noga (ed.). 2010. Wiley-Blackwell Publ. (Chapters 3-4, 6-8, 10-14, 16)
– CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine, 2nd ed. 2001 (chapters 9, 11, 15-21, 23, 29-31, 40-45)
– Journal of Comparative Pathology (J Comp Path)
– International Zoo Year book (IZY)
– Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 3rd, 4th. Fowler (ed). 1993, 1999. W.B. Saunders.
– Parasitic diseases of wild mammals.2nd Ed. Samuel, Pybus, Kocan (eds.) Manson Publ.
– Infectious diseases of wild mammals. 3rd Ed. Williams, Barker (eds.) Manson Publ.
– Invertebrate medicine. Lewbart (ed.), 2006. Blackwell Publishing.
– Camelid medicine and surgery, Fowler (ed.), 2010, Wiley-Blackwell Publ.
– Avian Medicine and Surgery. Altman (ed.). 1997. WB Saunders.
– Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry. Wright, Whitaker (eds.). 2001. Krieger.
– Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants. Fowler, Mikota (eds) 2006. Wiley-Blackwell.
– Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd edition. Mader. (ed.) 2006. W.B. Saunders Co.
– Medicine of Australian Mammals, Vogelnest and Woods (eds). CSIRO Publ., 2008.